Skinfood Rice Mask Wash Off Review

By Dyni Mela Zingiberni - 1:52 PM



Assalamu'alaykum ^^

I'm pretty sure my blog has turned into a skincare blog instead of a makeup one, especially after I discover Korean Skincare products I really went crazy and purchased a lot of products since then. So this post is a review for a skincare product again. Please bear with me :D.

Masking is one of my favorite things about skincare. It is fun. It feels like spa day. Your skin will love it! And moreover, you don't need to do it everyday! Mask is for a weekly skincare routine, or you can apply whenever you want. You can make your own mask with natural ingredients like fruits, veggies, eggs, honey, milk, and even oats; you can also find DIY posts and videos for masks. However, for a lazy and busy woman like I am, I cannot make my own mask from scratch anymore. I used to do it back in high school. So my only option right now is to buy them.

Skinfood is one of my favorite Korean brands for masks; I've tried their black sugar wash off mask and reviewed it here. I'm currently trying their egg mouse mask thingy that is supposed to clear your pores. However for this post, I'll be talking about their Rice Mask which is good for brightening. I'm tempted to try this after this mask is one of the products that make Joan Keem's skin (one of my favorite vloggers in Beauty World of Youtube) brightened up.

After months of trying, I'm also tempted to give my own review on this!

Packaging
Do not expect luxurious packaging with less than $10 products, girls. This mask is packed in a plastic jar, a sticker with product information on it. The jar itself is white. This is pretty similar packaging with the old black sugar mask. Yup, they don't provide the spatula. So it's a little bit down side for this product because I really think spatula is very important for skincare product that is stored in a jar.

However the cap is quite secured. I never spilled any of the product so far,  and you don't have to worry to break the jar because it's not made of glass. So it can be the plus side!

Formulation
I thought this would be not as thin and runny as it is when I first tried this, I imagined rather thick creamy texture; however this mask has thinner consistency compared to most mask. When you try to scoop it with your fingers, you probably will have some difficulties. This just makes me wonder, why don't they provide a spatula. Please Skinfood, a spatula would be nice T_T

There are tiny pieces of transparent thingy that are supposed to be rice grains, I'm not sure if it's a real rice grain. These 'rice grains' can act like a physical exfoliator, meaning you can also make this mask as a scrub. Because the main ingredients is rice, or what it claims to, the color of this mask is white. It also has sweet fragrance; soft vanilla which for me doesn't smell too strong.

   



For the complete list of the ingredients (as listed on their website), please see the following list; Water, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Cyclopentasiloxane, Cetyl Alcohol, Propylene Glycol, Oryza Sativa (Rice) Bran Water, Glycerin, Polysorbate 80, Jojoba Esters, Peg-100 Stearate, Glyceryl Stearate, Palmitic Acid, Stearic Acid, Sorbitan Stearate, Dimethicone, Carbomer, Potassium Hydroxide, Algin, Sucrose Cocoate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Sodium Hyaluronate, Polyglutamic Acid, 1, 2-Hexanediol , Ethylhexylglycerin, Phenoxyethanol, Fragrance.

It still has fragrance inside which is quite normal for a SKINFOOD product. I do have problem with strong fragrance skincare, however for this mask, I can endure and it actually smells kind of calming. However, funny thing is when I tried looking the validity in cosdna; a website where you can see safety rank of each ingredients from a cosmetics product, I found the ingredients are quite not same with what I saw on Skinfood's web.

I found two paraben family which are Butylparaben  and Methylparaben. Those two act as preservative in cosmetics product and some people are avoiding this and the safeness for these two is a little bit worrying. I'm going give the screenshot of what stated in cosdna website about this mask. This only half of the ingredients, for the full list please follow the link.

I honestly don't have a problem with paraben as long as it's only used in moderate amount. But I'm just going to underline this information again that this mask contains paraben, so for you who are having problem with paraben might not want to try this mask.

How to use
This mask is used like a scrub rather than a mask where you can leave it on your face then wash, with this mask, you'll need to rub it on your skin and then do a soft circular motion for around 15 minutes. Yes, 15 minutes, girls. That is what the direction tells us. I did try scrubbing for fifteen minutes, however I got lazy and I mostly scrub for few minutes and then just leave it on my face for the rest of time until I feel like washing off.



Mask can be applied in the morning or night; me personally, I prefer night time to make sure all the nasty surface of makeup is super gone from my face. Also it relaxes me a bit after such a busy working day. I would apply this after I wash my face with facial wash, and as directed, I would gently massage the mask on my face until I think it's enough before I rinse it with water. I do not like lukewarm water to wash my face due to my sensitivity to heat so I suggest you guys to use whichever temperature you like.

My mask routine weekly would look like this:

🌙 Double cleanse → Rice Mask → Hydrating Toner → Essence → Serum → Sleeping Mask/Sheet Mask

Performance
I use this for months at the point I almost finish the jar. I think this mask is an okay mask; I do not think this give a brightening effect for my skin at all however I do enjoy this mask. It doesn't break me out and feels great when applying. The tiny 'rice grains' don't feel harsh on your skin, they're so soft so it might be okay for sensitive skin. 

If I could choose between this or the black sugar wash off mask by the same brand, I would pick the later without hesitation. The black sugar mask is my favorite exfoliating mask ever. But you still can give this a try.

What I like about this
👌 Affordable! Only $7 or around Rp. 90,000 in Indonesia
👌 Feels and smells good
👌 Doesn't give breakout
👌 Don't have alcohol

What I don't like
👎 Still have paraben family (not I strongly dislike, but I have to make a point about this)
👎 No spatula

Do I recommend this?
Yeah, kinda. You can try this, especially this won't cost a lot of money.

Will I repurchase?
I'm not sure. Probably not.

See you on my next post~


  • Share:

You Might Also Like

1 comments